Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Beaded Knitting Necklace, Dog Bed and Refashioning

I have actually accomplished a couple of things in the last week or so.

I am trying various things from the book Betsy Beads by Betsy Hershberg, as mentioned in a previous post about knitting necklaces.  This is the only thing I have completed so far, as now I am knitting a pile of beads to string together, and they are time-consuming.  This is knitted with 4 ply pink cotton and size 6 seed beads, in a purl I-cord (as opposed to the more 'normal' knit I-cord).  According to the book, doing I-cord in purl forces it to spiral.  My tension obviously isn't tight enough, even though I am using tiny needles (something like 1.5mm, can't remember exactly) with the cotton.  It did spiral a bit, but I still have to twist it a few times to produce the desired spirally look when I wear the necklace.  I didn't do a great job of attaching the magnetic clasp, sadly, though that doesn't show so much when you are wearing it, but it looks nice on and I am quite pleased with it.  Pictures of the knitted beads to come, eventually.



I've been meaning to make Sirius a new dog bed for ages, having bought this cheerful polar fleece some months ago.  She eats her beds, and I don't resent it when it's polar fleece, which is cheap, so I make her one every couple of years.  This is bigger than the previous ones, and it's a bit like a nest.


I think she likes it!  She likes to have a bed under my sewing table in the family room, even though she can't use it when I am actually sewing.


I also did a ridiculously easy refashioning project.  I was culling my wardrobe recently and picked a few summer dresses to donate to op shops.  This one was in that pile, but I realised that I really liked the fabric, and I was only ditching the dress because the top fitted badly (it either rode up, making me look heavily pregnant, or pulled down, which exposed half my bra).   So...



 Quick chop of skirt from bodice, and removal of a couple of inches of it to tidy it up and make it above ankle length rather than scraping the ground.  Pictured with trusty scissors and the roll of black elastic that will provide a waistband.


A quick pin, a careful zig-zag, and a skirt, voila!!


4 comments:

Olivia said...

I like all of these. The necklace is really pretty, and I never thought of purling icord, but I will have to try it.

Sirius does look very comfortable in her 'nest' - it's much bigger than I assumed from the first picture.

greenspace said...

excellent! Sirius looks very happy and comfy in her new bed, that dress-turned-skirt is terrific, and the beaded spirally necklace is very cool.

Olivia said...

I like all of these. The necklace is really pretty, and I never thought of purling icord, but I will have to try it.

Sirius does look very comfortable in her 'nest' - it's much bigger than I assumed from the first picture.

2paw said...

Sirius has her laser eyes on!! She looks so comfy in her new bed. Some furry people at our house may have one eaten the 'actual' bed!!! Love the necklace and I had never thought of purling i-cord either. I would not. I hate purling and avoid excess purling at all costs!! Great skirt!!!